Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Chris Huhne and Queen Victoria

When I heard Chris Huhne interviewed on Radio 4 last week announcing his candidature, I was put in mind of Queen Victoria's comment 'Mr Gladstone addresses me as though I were a public meeting'. These days of course you are even supposed to address a public meeting as though it were an intimate conversation, so that potentially counts against Huhne. I agreed with what Huhne was saying, but couldn't help feeling his style was overly didactic and academic, lacking in human warmth.

My researches here in Watford suggest something of a gender divide, with women in particular not warming to Huhne (including both those who have heard him on radio or attended the hustings last Saturday). But then I think he has strong support from among the women MPs, so perhaps the women of Watford are not as typical as Radio 4 might think.

I think we are going to try to raise a party from Watford to go to the Slough hustings, so I will find out more there.

No comments: