Sunday, November 05, 2023

So farewell then, Worthington White Shield

Despite being a cask beer drinker since the 1980s, until very recently I have held off joining the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA). There are a few reasons for this, but the main one was disagreement with certain of CAMRA’s policy positions, including a sense it that was overly purist and that it was silly to make a fetish of the means of dispense rather than the quality of the beer.

With hindsight this wasn’t very logical. If disagreement with some of an organisation’s policies was an impediment to joining, I would never have signed up to the Liberal party back in the day nor have spent much of the last four decades campaigning for the Lib Dems and serving as a councillor.

Anyway, having gathered that CAMRA had adopted a more broadminded approach, this year I did join and have received the first copy of the excellent Beer magazine that is a benefit of membership.

It brings the sad news, however, that the famous Worthington White Shield pale ale is being discontinued by its owner Molson Coors.

Back in the day, White Shield was celebrated as the one bottle-conditioned beer on general sale – even if it was not easy to find. I learned about it because it had been adopted as a favoured beer by the rugby club where my dad played. On one occasion he turned up just as the delivery driver arrived and was told that the club was the largest customer in the country for White Shield. The second biggest was a hotel in Devon where club’s players stayed on their Easter tour.

Over the years whenever I’ve seen White Shield on sale, I’ve never failed to buy a bottle or two. Yet in truth it was more its uniqueness as real ale in a bottle that made me buy rather than anything exceptional about the taste – nice enough though it was. It was always a rare find, never properly promoted, each time it seemed to have been brewed at a different location and its specialness was reduced with the explosion of craft and micro breweries, many of which sell live beer in bottles.

Still, it is sad to see it go and if it really is not to be revived the CAMRA article is a worthy obituary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh how sad! One of the happier memories from my teenage years was sitting alone in a pub in Leicestershire, minding my own business, when two men appeared and asked me if I would like to join them for dinner. Apparently, they were the Quality Control Team from Worthington’s White Shield brewery in Burton on Trent, and they were out for their Christmas dinner. There were twelve of them, but someone had invited the minibus driver to join them, and they were superstitious about having thirteen people around the table.
Well, I promptly cancelled all my other engagements (!) and joined them. They had sent several crates of their own product ahead, and I was given a master class in how to pour and enjoy the beer by the world’s greatest experts in the subject. We had steak (very unusual for me at that time) and I also had a lesson in the differences between English, Dijon and Grey Poupon mustards.
It was a truly memorable evening. I was at a pretty low ebb, and it was a treat (in more ways than one) to be allowed to join a civilised bunch of adult men who were interested in talking about interesting adult men things rather than the angsty world of teenagerdom.
I got them to write their names down on a paper napkin, but sadly it had disintegrated by the time I got it home. I sent a Christmas Card to the White Shield Quality Control Team, Worthington’s Brewery, Burton on Trent, but I am not sure if it ever got there. I always had a bottle if ever it was on offer; either I am not a connoisseur or they changed the recipe, because it never tasted as good as it did in the Fallen Knight, Ashby de la Zouch in December 1972. Thanks for the memory.